Vetox Lab - Venom Research and Toxicology Laboratory
Vetox Lab - Venom Research and Toxicology Laboratory is a research lab based at the Department of Pharmacology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Malaya, Malaysia. The research team is dedicated to a variety of research studies of venoms, toxins and antivenoms, applying classical in vitro/in vivo models and state-of-art technologies of genomics, transcriptomics and proteomics. We aims to offer clinical applicability for the improvement of medical care on snakebite envenomation in the region.
Vetox Lab envisages to becoming a regional research center of excellence for research on venoms, natural poisons and related topics in toxicology, with specific aims as follow:
1. To characterize the compositions and toxicity of venoms/poisons for understanding their pathophysiological effects.
2. To study the immunological properties of venoms/poisons for optimization and development of antidotes/antivenoms and immunodiagnostic assays.
3. To conduct preclinical and clinical assessment of antivenoms/antidotes on neutralization against toxicity of various venoms/poisons.
4. To explore potential medicinal use of venom/poison components in diseases.
5. To establish collaborations and networks with local and foreign experts in addressing the global health problem associated with envenoming and poisoning.